Amitie and the Mysterious Egg Chapter 9 - The White Bird’s True Colors

And before I knew it, the next floor was the top of the tower. A strong gust of wooshed in, suddenly sending a chill within me.
"It's really cold today, isn't it!?"
When I said that, Ringo explained that "We are quite high, compounded with strong winds, it makes it very cold." I see~. I looked down from the top of the tower, and I saw Primp Town in the distance, tiny like a toy town. We must've went really high up...which I thought again.

"Okay, now what do we do here?"
Arle looked around here and there as she asked. She searched around her and even the sky, looking as far in the deep blue as her eyes can see, but there were only just feathery clouds floating around. That white bird we saw that one time is nowhere to be seen. Hnn, I've got to think of something...
"This is annoying~...Ah, I got it! How about we call for it?"
Ringo, eyes half-closed, said "Call for it you say..." at my idea. Is it bad?
"I don't know, but I've got to try. One, two... MR WHITE BIIIIIIIIIIIIRD!"
I took a huge breath, then shouted at the top of my lungs. But my voice just faded into the vast sky before me. There was only the woosh of the wind. I waited for a few seconds, but nothing showed up.
"Huh~? Maybe one time wasn't enough. Mr Bird! Mr. Biiird! Tama wants to be your friiiiiiiiiend!"
Nope, no good. Geez~ how strange.
"Kyu? Kyu?"
What'cha doing, Tama? Your face suddenly popped in. Oh yeah, Tama can help out too!
“Heya Tama, do you remember that white bird? I want to call it here. Hey, we can do it together!"
"Kyu? Kyuu~!"
"Ready to go? And now! Mr. Bir~~~d!"
"Kyu...Kyuuuu!"
Tama spread its wings out, and cried out to the sky, much like how a dog howls. It was surprisingly loud, and even if it faded away, it seemed like it reached every corner of the sky.
"Whoah...Tama, how did you get so loud?"
Arle's eyes went wide.
"Nothing's happeing, however..."
Ringo delcared it that.
*Fwoosh*
But then I heard somethingin the distance, like the faint sound of flapping wings.
"Eeh!?"
Arle, Ringo, and I turned to the sound of flapping wings at the same time. Then suddenly, we began to see a tiny white dot in the blue sky. But that dot grew larger and larger, and it eventually looked more like a bird...It steadily got closer and closer, and the flapping sound got louder. We were pretty surprised when the sun turned into the gigantic white bird.
*Fwoosh, Flapflapflapflap....*
The bird flew around the tower's surroundings, but it seemed hostile seeing us standing there, gripping the tower walls with its talons, resting its wings, and puffing out its chest.
"W....whoah."
Everything just went silent. The bird so up close, yet something so big is hanging around in a home so small. Its red eyes are as clear as glass marbles, the same as Tama's, but they don't look innocent at all. They seem more mature and intelligent. Its snow white feathers are even shining in the bright sky. Shining like the distant sun, it's really, really pretty. That's the aesthetic I'm getting. ...Wait, we're not here to look at it! We went through a lot of trouble to finally meet it. After stretching my back a bit, I went to Tama's side, patted where its shoulders are, and then turned to the white bird.

"N-Nice to meet you! I'm Amitie! This is Tama, uh, that's Arle, Ringo, and Carbuncle. Um, um, a while ago, I want to come and see you. You see, I'm not like Tama! I'm, well uh, I'm Tama's friend, I told Tama about food, I played with it around town..."
Bweh, all this nervousness is making my explanation one big mess. Did I even get my point across? B-but I tried my best to express my feelings! For sure! Ah, will it understand if I said "Kyu~" any nothing else? Wasting no time, I expressed my feelings with "Kyu~"...with all the determination to even pucker my lips to mimic a bird.
"Offspring of man..."
Yikes! The big white bird spoke! With that deep voice, there's no doubt it's big and booming, and it's still ringing in my ears. The mysterious voice is like ringing a bell.
"Um, uh, the heck is 'Offspring of man'!?"
I turned to Ringo with her thinking cap on, and with a look of surprise, she tells me "Offspring of man...rather, I believe it means 'children' or something like that."
"I see. Well then...Yes! We are offspring of man!"
I faced the bird, cheerfully holding out my hand, but Arle butts in with "Th-that's not how you express that!" Huh? That's not right? But then the white bird got curious at our antics. It was looking at Tama, not me. And then it spoke.
"That which is present there...one's own child..."
Hm? "One's own child?" One's own child...Does it mean my own child? I looked at Tama, thinking about what it said...Unless? Hm? Eh!? WHAAAAAAT!?
"That's Tama's pareeeeeent!?"
"Guguguuuu!?"
Arle, Ringo, and I yelled at the same time. And apparently Carbuncle too. Still, this is some shocking news! I don't know if this is the dad or the mom...but this bird is Tama's real parent!
"Kyuu?"
Tama tilted its head, being the only one with no idea. Haha, clueless like usual! You're cute, but you're pretty tense aren't you!? Then again, we don't know what to say to the big white bird, and it narrowed its eyes straight at us. Hmm? Oh geez, it's glaring us kinda scarily.
"My egg. It was purloined by thine hands..."
"Bweh? Thine? What time is it? Sorry, but I don't have a watch..."
"Amitie! That's not what it means!"
"A-ha! We're this bird's egg-stealing kidnappers...uh, egg-nappers? That's what I think it means!"
"Bweh...EEEEH!?"
Right before my eyes, the white bird spread its wings, completely angry with me. Uhhh~, I know it's so big, but we've got to keep the chit-chat down. What to do though~...it won't attack if we don't come close, right? The mood's getting dangerous though, I confronted it and flailed my arms around.
"N-No! Tama was the one that followed me! I more or less looked all over the place, and it bothered me that I couldn't find anyone!"
"Such paltry exchange...had you known the cryptid ones, that power bestowed would raise mine child."
"Cryptid? Bestowed? What about it? That's not it! Tama's my friend! Everyone found Tama cute, and came to it! That's all!"
"Confide...in your sins, offspring of man..."
Yikes, it's not listening at all! The white bird's causing some quake on top of this tower. Looks like it's going to attack us!
"Gugu!"
Carbuncle jumped in front of the white bird and fired a beam from its forehead gem. I know it's trying to protect me, but...
"Noooo! Carbuncle, stop!"
I hurried over to grab hold of Carbuncle.
"Guguuguu!?"
"Don't you know that's Tama's parent!? I don't want you to get hurt!"
I don't even know what the best choice is, but, but! I don't want you getting hurt!
"Amitie, look out!"
Arle called out.
"It's going to attack!"
And then Ringo screamed. I looked up and the white bird was right before my eyes. It's too late, I can't avoid it. I held Carbuncle close to me to protect it. Umm. Then something large went and rammed it...I-Is this the end? I've pretty much given up, shutting my eyes tightly, until this happened.

"Kyukyuuuu!!"

Something really soft was covering me, something fluffy and light. What's going on? I thought the white bird was going to throw a world of hurt, but it looks like that didn't happen at all. All I felt was the chilly breeze on my face. But this warm sensation feels pretty nice, actually. Then I opened my eyes. I couldn't believe what I saw.
"N...No way...!?"
Right above me were fluffy snow-white feathers. I was still hugging Carbuncle tightly, just about to fall over. Arle and Ringo were really worried, trying to keep an eye on me. I can't even stand up, but I still looked around myself...Hang on, am I in the sky!?
"What in the world!?"
I kept looking around in a panic, trying to confirm what's going on. I think I'm riding on a big, snow-white bird. I can see the two wings flapping around, and below me was the top of the tower. And right on top of the tower was the white bird. Wha? If that's the white bird, then who am I riding? Then again, Tama's nowhere to be found...
"Kyu~♪"
I heard a really soft call, and it came from the bird we're riding right now. Wait a second, does that mean this bird is!
"T- T-T-T-T-T-T-TAMA!?"
"Kyu, kyu♪"
What used to be the penguin-like bird, Tama's transformed into a smart and stylish-looking bird, calmly soaring the skies.


“Get really real...I can’t believe it!”
Then Arle realized something about me.
"You think it transformed as a response to seeing Amitie in a pinch...?"
And Ringo's outright shocked.
"Th....this is amazing, Tama!"
I patted Tama's on the back, keeping it in control.
"You're flying! You're really flying! This great! I'm so happy!"
"Kyuu, kyu~!"
I can't really see Tama's face while on its back, but I can tell by it's happy and energetic chirps that it's saying it's really overjoyed!
*flap*
Hearing Tama's flaps makes me want to hear it one more time. But then the white bird that attacked us is flying in the sky again. Is it going to rush us down!? I froze up in an instant...
"I thank thee."
That's all the bird said.
"Bwagh!?"
"If my actions caused you distress, apologies to you..."
"Your attitude's completely different..."
"Your tone has changed too..."
Arle and Ringo still seem nervous and not completely convinced.
"Our kind are a race of birds, grand in size, carrying power immeasurable. I give mine gratitude for thy splendid upbringing."
It completely changed from earlier. Its red eyes seem nicer now. Was it just an act? And why was it like that? No, let's not...
"Ah-ha~...Uhm... Were you cute like Tama? Oh, when you were left alone as an egg, did someone come and find you?"
I have so many questions, and being the most curious, I listened closely. The white bird seems a bit lonely, but it shook it off.
"To wot companionship, a child is predestin'd to raise our kind."
"Companionship?"
"Our numbers are few, but our companions give forth play with us, as we are devoid of friends. Thus, the eggs are under another's care to allow such teachings. We wot naught of their identity yet, but it pains us should they be selfish or without restraint. We are a powerful kind..."
"..."
"This child's companion must be thou. The true power awaken'd upon protecting you, proving indisputably it indeed has come of age."
"Uhm...That attack from earlier, was it all an act to prove I'm seriously Tama's companion? Um uh, and that resulted in a splendid growth...?"
I have a feeling I'm going to get some really hard-to-understand answer. Maybe.
"The result was, as you say, 'alright' or 'goody-goody?'"
After summarizing it up like that, the white bird just went and chirped "Kyukyu" as if it were singing. It was chirping just like Tama~...wait, what?
"Wait a second, are you laughing at me?"
I turned to Arle and Ringo, but they weren't the ones laughing. W-well then. Who could be laughing, then...
"Mm~~~, oh it's probably just a misunderstanding. Tama's all fine and well! Good! Good!"
I bounced back to my usual cheery level. It was then the white bird said "It is best we return to our homeland."
"Uh, homeland?"
I asked, staring blankly.
"Yes. Our homeland is a village, reserved of much events, and we are to protect the peace from the heavens. When time is ripe, our immense power is released. That is how the folk are put at ease."
“Oh~ so that’s it. Then that means we can head back home, Tama!”
“...”
“...”
“...”
The white bird, Arle, and even Ringo went silent. Tama didn't answer either. Get really real~! I must be the only one on this boat! I still got the idea though. From here, I have to say goodbye to Tama. I don't have to look after Tama anymore since it's all grown up now. It has to go home with its own kind. But still, I said "Well, let's head back home!" like I always do. This is the last day we can go home, eat, and also sleep together. I was joking when I said that. Geez, guys...
Arle is trying not to cry, Ringo is trying not to look distressed, but they understand. I'm alright though, I'm not gonna cry. I should be telling that to them even! You need to smile for Tama!
To think that Tama started from the size of my hand, to being a big eater, to flight practicing ourselves ragged, to playing Puyo Catch, all of these memories piling up kinda breaks my heart. Even then, I won't deny or object to it. Why? I want to remember Tama as a cool and clever bird. I want it to be that, and say nothing else.

We made it down to the bottom of the tower, thanks to riding on Tama.
"Take care."
I held out my arms, and Tama reached out and rubbed its face on me. I then gave it a heartfelt hug. Tama let out a gentle "Kyuu" to me. It may look elegant now, but the feeling from its fluffy white feathers and its sweet voice will always be Tama. Arle and Ringo came to give it a hug too.
"Bye-bye."
The white bird's already in the sky. Tama took one last look at me, then it went onward, spreading its big wings out wide. Tama's so pretty...
"Gugu gu?"
Something poked at my leg while I spaced out. It was Carbuncle. Everywhere it goes, he's always carrying a Puyo...Ah!
"Carbuncle, give it to me, please!"
With an agreeing "Gugu!", Carbuncle handed over the Puyo as I requested. I hurried over to Tama and threw the Puyo!
"Tamaaaa!!"
Tama looked over at me with a chirp, and flew over to the Puyo. And then...
"Kyuu ♪ Kyu Kyu ♪"
It managed to catch the Puyo, happily looping around in the air.
"So good, really good! You're really talented at Puyo Catch!"
After praising it, Tama stood proudly, with the Puyo still in its beak. Then, it turned around once again.
"Tamaaaa, take care!"
"Guguuuu!"
The three of us and Carbuncle waved our arms up in the air, while calling out to it. The white bird that was still flying was out of sight, and we continued to watch over Tama. It eventually got farther and farther until it was also out of sight. Hnn, I won't cry, I'll tried to... but I couldn't help but let a tear escape, but that's okay!

Tama's gone, and that's that. Tama never showed up for anything else after that day. Oh well. I decided on this. The big white bird said it'd be like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sig's Secret

Sig’s Secret Chapter 1 - Taking a Stand!