Amitie and the Mysterious Egg Chapter 6 - Don't be so Absurd

After all that...Tama’s “Training” keeps going with everyone working together.

“Even now, just climbing the hill is like grist to the mill. This time how about letting it ride a skateboard up then down the hill?
“Ringo...That’s probably even more dangerous!”
“Kyuuu!”

“Carby says he’s not bored this time. You should go practice flight training together! Trust in Carby, Tama!”
“Guu...”
“Arle...Carbuncle’s bored and sleepy already~!”
“Kyukyuu!”

"I've whipped up a new intensive training menu! This time, we do dumbbell lifts while tire pulling, and then squats!"
"Raffina...is that tire also yours? The heart name tag stuck on it does have 'Raffina' written on it though..."
"Kyu kyu!"

"Ah, Miss Ami, Mister Tama. I made some more food in here..."
"Lidelle! T-Thanks... What did you make for us today?"
"Spicy red hot juice and really nutritious sour manju..."
"Aah...spicy and sour!"
"Kyuu!"

"Salutations Amitie! After some improvements, the Klug Kite No. 2 is now complete!"
"Th-That's great!"
"Kyu~...?"

Day after day, it's all like this. Everyone wants to look after Tama, but they're being so nosy, it's just grabbing trouble! Still, Tama bounces around happily like usual, no matter what situation. This is the one time I showed my "Stop!" and "You're annoying!" face to them.
"Whew, school's done for today!"
"Kyuu~!"
"Alrighty, off to the park, Tama! Go go!"
"Kyuukyuu!"
Another after school day. As I headed to the park with Tama, someone called me from behind.
"M-Miss Ami..."
"Huh? Lidelle?"
At that moment, I thought she'd surprise me with "some refreshments", but it seems I was wrong. She fixed her attention on Tama.
"What’cha doing with Tama?"
"Um...well...I kinda feel bad from earlier, so I want to do something different..."
"It's okay. What's up?"
"Mister Tama, you grew a bit from earlier, didn't you..."
"Huh!? Now that you mention it..."
I looked down at Tama and tilted my head. As it was mentioned earlier, even if it ate and ate, it'd be a surprise if it grew at all. Nowadays it wasn't the case. Well, it was a bit of a glutton in the first place, and now it doesn't need as much food bribery.
"Wh...wha? What's wrong?"

"Its growth period ended, hasn't it?"
Ringo stuck out her index finger.
"Kyu~?"
Ringo and I, then Arle and Carbuncle noticed this, and Tama just blinked. Now we're here at the park. I brought up what Lidelle said to me with everyone. Their reaction doesn’t look all that great.
"Gr-owth Pe-ri-od?"
When I asked about it, Ringo answered with this explanation, "It's basically the phase a child's body grows into that of an adult's. It's essential that it eats plenty of food during this phase. Past the growth period, its appetite settles down to a more stable level."
"Then, there's no need to worry? But...
Tama came to mind while holding off on snack time. Even if its "Gr-owth Pe-ri-od" is over, its appetite won't go away completely, right? Arle cheerfully spoke up, as if she knew what I was thinking.
"Hey guys! I brought some sandwiches today! So, how about quick bite?"
"Guguu!"
"Aha, you look delighted. You too Tama, here here! Eat as much as you want!"
"Kyu~"
Tama happily approached. Then everyone else started eating their sandwiches...
"Huh, that's it, Tama?"
Tama only finished one sandwich and then wandered off from everyone. Everyone else wasn't done eating yet, at least the lone Tama appreciated it. We used to want seconds after we ate.
"..."
We looked at Tama, who's a bit off from us, and I tiptoed to it.
"Uh, is something up with Tama?"
"Maybe..."
Arle and Ringo tilted their head.
"Flight practice..."
I mumbled to myself. Tama was flapping its wings and ran. Thanks to its recent training, its running speed went up a bit, but unsurpisingly, it still can't fly. It used to move like a penguin, now it's moving like a speedy penguin. Still, Tama is training again all on its lonesome. Tama's running frantically and jumping over and over. Something must be driving Tama, because it's been running back and forth nonstop... While it seems to be real cute, how come I'm not smiling? Looking off the side, Arle and Ringo look troubled as they watched Tama's puzzled face.
"Thanks for the food, Arle!"
I quickly and anxiously jumped out of my seat, and then called out to Tama.
"Tama! That's enough for today! Hey, uh, I know you're trying hard but...Ahh!"
“Kyu!”
I interrupted Tama's concentration and it fell to the ground when I called it.
"Are you alright!?"
I rushed over in a panic...and Tama's not getting up. It collapsed.
"Tama!"
I crouched down to help Tama up, and it suddenly came to, blinking its eyes. It seems light-headed too. It doesn't look hurt though. It flapped its wings, letting out a "Kyu~!". It looked like it was saying "Don't worry, I'm fine." To me though, all I see is Tama being absurdly energetic.
"Hey...seriously, what's wrong..."
It's breathing pretty loudly. I don't know what Tama's thinking, but this might be the first time I did this...
"Sorry guys. I'm going home."
I helped Tama back up, but then I looked back at Arle and Ringo before dragging myself on the road back home.
"Tama...what's wrong?"
"Kyu~?"
"Are you sick? Are you tired? ...Is everyone's training intense? Do you not like it?"
"Kyuukyuu!"
"...Is it all wrong, then?"
"Kyu!"
"..."
I continued to chat with Tama while carrying it on the way home. The usual routine was supposed to be fun, but now I can't even be happy about it.
"Hey, Tama...answer me..."
"Kyu...?"
"Why are you being so absurd, Tama? Even if I don't understand you, I'm still like your mom..."
I feel pathetic. Sure I'm happy that everyone eagerly helped out with Tama's flight training, but now it's made every day so very hectic. Lidelle said she didn't notice Tama change. Still, even if I didn't catch it, I'm sure something's up with Tama.
"As your mom figure...I still have to take care of you and protect you..."
My nose is all sniffly and my eyes are burning up. Huh, am I crying right now...?
"Kyuuuu!"
"Heh!?"
Tama suddenly started wriggling around in my arms. When I let it go, Tama gently landed on the ground and wrapped around my leg.
"Yikes...Tama, wait- ahahahaha!"
Tama's white feathers were tickling my leg, and I couldn't help but burst into laughter.
"Kyu kyu!"
After hearing me laugh, Tama was satisfied. Geez. I'm the one worrying about Tama, and it was the one that cheered me up! Tama's so sweet. When I'm outstretched like this, it makes everyone else around me smile back...
"...ah."
And that's when it hit me. Right, Tama's...
"Tama, you stopped your training."
I crouched down and smiled at Tama.
"Kyu!?"
Tama looked surprised. After shaking its head, it let out a hasty "Kyuukyuu!". It looked like it said "Let's do our best!"
"Oh hey...I understand your feelings, Tama."
"Kyu...?
"See, my grades at school are kinda bad. Everyone tells me to go study because I keep getting bad test scores. It was then that, ah, I thought it was no use. I kinda felt bad just thinking about that. Though...still, each and every one of them are my friends. I hope I don't drive them so crazy, they stop being friends with me."
"Kyuu..."
"Tama. You think everyone expects you to fly, which is why you're in such a hurry? You don't have to be flying now. I don't think everyone wants you to fly like you depended on it. Everyone wants to play with you. You don't have to live to that expectation. Don't stop eating just for that. And definitey don't be so focused on that. Take it easy on the training. That's the Tama I want from the bottom of my heart."
"..."
I think you're way too kind, Tama. It doesn't mind everyone's help and expectations at all. It really means that, but it runs myself ragged. You try and try your best, but I understand your pain if you can't. Tama looked down. Weird. It usually looks up at the face of other people. Besides myself, Tama would think of everyone else first. Seeing it not looking at me or anyone else is really weird. After a moment, Tama showed its face then bounced back on in my arms.
"Kyu..."
Did I imagine a sigh of relief just now? I hugged Tama tightly. Gee, you gotta take it easy. Even if you can't fly, Tama is still Tama. I love you! ...I want you to feel that emotion.
"Amitie..."
Suddenly, someone called out from behind.
"Eh!?"
I turned around in surprise, Tama still in my arms, to Arle and Carbuncle and also Ringo standing there. When did they show up!? The two of them have serious faces. As I kept looking, I realized my eyes are still moist with tears... Did they hear me talking about how Tama should stop training when it wants to? I think I let someone down. Butbut, Tama shouldn't be this unreasonable. Butbutbut, they fully and eagely agree with this. But, butbutbut... With these thoughts spinning in my head, they were watching me run my mouth. As they walked up to me, I dropped my head at that same time.
"Sorry, Tama."
"Kyu!?"
Tama looked startled, and the two continued forward.
"We were a little overzalous about earlier."
"We felt tension was reached an entirely new high..."
"Tama realized it was impatient though."
"We didn't quite think things through. We just wanted to play with Tama..."
"Yeah. It's everything as you said, Amitie. So...we're sorry."
"We learned the hard way, so can we make up?"
I was almost driven to tears by their apology. But this is different. This time, they're tears of joy!
"Kyu...kyuu!"
Tama vigorously jumped out from my arms. And then, Arle and Ringo jumped into my arms for a group hug.
"Aha! Tama, wants to play too!"
"I'm ticklish though...fufufufu."
I'm surrounded by really good friends. Tama, Arle, Ringo, you guys are the best! Tama copied their hug, and it made me jump up on my feet.

On the next day, Tama's appetite is greater than ever. ...yep, that's right. Not just back, it's super back!
"Kyukyu~~~♪"
"Gu gu~~~♪"
It's back to the usual afternoon routine at the park. With Carbuncle as its competition, they're scarfing up food like nothing. Arle and Ringo are watching in amazement.
"Whoah...it's great they're this energetic, right?"
Arle forced a smile.
"Seven plates...eight plates...Hmm. Where in your body does it go..."
And Ringo's got her amazement going.
"I wonder if the guys at the magic school will bring lots of stuff after..."
Their face just says "Eh?" at what I said.

Today at the school, Tama told everyone it's taking a break from flight training. I wonder if anyone said "Eh~?" at that? There was no need to worry though, they were like Arle and Ringo yesterday. They were worried about Tama and were wrongfully overprotective. Not one of them looked disappointed. With a sigh of relief, Tama's energetic as ever before! That's good...uh, wha?
"Hey, you two."
I pointed at Tama, looking at Arle and Ringo.
"Don't you think...Tama got a bit bigger?"
This morning, Tama's height was about right below my knee. Now, it's a bit taller than my knee. I can't even carry it around anymore... Arle seems a bit surprised.
"Wh-what do you mean? After that its mood boost, don't you think it'll grow again after eating so much now?"
Off to the side, Ringo's totally puzzled.
"B-but that's against common animal biology!"
I-I see. It looks like Tama's "Growth Period" is still going...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sig's Secret

Sig’s Secret Chapter 1 - Taking a Stand!